Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Little Sleep, A Little Slumber

"A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest--and poverty will come on you like a thief and scarcity like an armed man." - Proverbs 6:10-11

I am here to tell you that a little sleep is a beautiful thing. I think Solomon may have over-exaggerated the dangerous effects of sleeping. I mean, you can't stay awake all the time!

For what seems like an eternity (maybe like two weeks, really), Amos has been waking up between 4:00 and 4:30 in the morning. That is too early. This morning, he slept all the way until almost 6:00. What a relief to have an extra hour and a half of sleep! I had no idea how tired I was until I suddenly wasn't.

One of the dreaded phrases for new moms is, "Treasure every moment." Let me tell you, this is a marathon, not a sprint. Wildly treasuring every moment will leave you completely exhausted and unable to treasure any moments. If I can treasure one moment a day, I'll call it a win. And today's moment (so far) was waking up to silence instead of crying and gradually realizing that the time on my clock started with the number 5. When I did hear Amos making his little noises, I was eager to go say "good morning" to my baby boy and see his morning smiles.

Ahh...the peace of a sleeping baby.

3 comments:

Liz M. said...

The people who say "treasure every moment" are clearly the people who have EXTENSIVELY edited their memories!
The other day i was washing out my pump at work and a dad said to me, "it only gets better." I really appreciated that and felt less pressure to enjoy rather than survive.

Marissa said...

Very true. I've actually been reading Clara's blog from when Maeve was about the same age as Amos, and I've been really encouraged. She was exhausted and overwhelmed a lot back then too!

Tracy Edwards said...

oh GOOD!!