Monday, September 23, 2013

News From the Home Front

"[Barbara Kingsolver]'s a keen observer of the messiness and unexpected beauty of the quotidian." - Cleveland Plain Dealer, review on Kingsolver's latest book, Flight Behavior


I have been a little delinquent on writing my blog. I can't place the blame entirely on my hubby, but he did have sinus surgery last Friday and was home all week recovering. In theory, having another person around the house should make my life much easier, but not when that person spends most of the day in a drug-induced haze trying to convince me that I should sit on the couch with him and watch tv. Even so, it was really nice having him around all week to talk to. I kind of miss him today (his first full day back at work). Since I'm a little out of practice at blogging, I thought I'd just share a little of what's going on in our lives.

Michael
The good news is that the doctor went ahead and did everything he could to fix Mike's sinuses. They repaired his septum, removed a polyp, and cleaned out all the junk that had accumulated. Mike can already breathe better and the doctor expected him to be fully recovered by Friday!

The next step is repairing the hole in his eardrum, which has apparently been there for a while. I don't know how soon he'll have that done because he is ready to be well. He ran six miles one morning last June, got sick later that day, and has had various infections and illnesses since then.


Amos
Amos can clap now. He's pretty excited about that. When he wants to get someone's attention, he starts clapping his little hands together. If someone else around him claps, he grins from ear to ear.

He has also started rolling over a lot more. He has been on his stomach a few times now when I've gone to get him up from naps. I don't know if he rolls over once and gets stuck or if he just gets tired of playing in his crib and starts to cry.

He is also eating lots of food! He eats a pear and a sweet potato almost everyday. He likes cooked apples a lot, but he does not like broccoli very much. Despite all that he eats, he is very small for his age, which in my opinion makes him even cuter.

Me
I got a paid writing gig! The job is only supplements for two Sunday School lessons through the Nazarene Publishing House, but I'm thrilled to be paid to write. And I'm thrilled to write for something other than my own amusement. I have to admit, I don't think I'm cut out to be a professional blogger. Unlike Barbara Kingsolver, I am not a "keen observer of the messiness and unexpected beauty of the quotidian." To me, it's all just the quotidian, not especially messy or beautiful. Maybe if I keep blogging I'll get better at that, or maybe I'll move on to writing more Sunday School curriculum.

I'm going to the gym regularly. I'm terrible at it. I'm usually the last one done with the workout. (Our gym is all classes; read more about my gym on this post.) I also use the lowest weights. At times I get discouraged, but the people are really nice and encouraging, and at the end of the day, I'm not there to win; I'm there to get stronger and healthier.

That's all the news from Kansas City, where the women are getting stronger, the men are very good looking, and the children are above average (in some respects, but below in others).

Enjoying some prunes and sweet potatoes.

No comments: