Thursday, May 09, 2013

What Are You Waiting For?

"...if you used to love writing, painting, dancing, singing, whatever, but you stopped doing it when you had kids or began a strenuous career, then you have to ask yourself if you are okay about not doing it anymore." - Anne Lamott (Facebook post)

I am currently watching Camp Rock, a Disney original movie, starring Demi Lovato.  I just finished Lemonade Mouth, the story of a high school band that formed in detention.  These are the choices of my 10-year-old niece (who just handed me a personalized, handmade duct tape bracelet). She is here with her grandparents for the weekend.  And even though I have to admit that I kind of like those cheesy Disney musical movies, this is a preview of my future.  Eventually the baby will stop sleeping for most of the day and lying around while he is awake.  Eventually he is going to take a LOT of time and attention.

Writing is not necessarily the thing that I most want to do with my life, but as this blog-writer says about her cycling hobby, "Cycling is one of the few pre-children identity-holdovers that I've kept since becoming a mother." Writing is that hobby for me right now.  (Ultimate frisbee is another pre-children hobby, but I can't help feeling like it might not last all that long.  Also it is highly dependent on the weather.)

Well, I'm pretty into this Camp Rock movie, so I'm done writing, and I might be done for the weekend.  But I will be back at it on Monday.  Because, as Anne Lamott wrote, "What are you waiting for?"

PS You should follow Anne Lamott on Facebook.  She writes great stuff!

No comments: