Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Gratitude

Thanksgiving is the power that transforms desire and satisfaction, love and possession, into life, that fulfills everything in the world, given to us by God, into knowledge of God and communion with him. - Alexander Schmemann

Today is my husband's birthday, which is a good time to remember how thankful I am for him. I fell in love with him almost as soon as I met him, and I couldn't believe it when we started dating eight months later.  I was so in awe of him then--his ability to listen so fully to others, his knowledge of so many things, his fearlessness when confronted, his strength to carry the burdens of so many as they poured out their hearts to him, his childlike joy at the silliest things, and his impeccable taste in music and paint colors.

Now that we have been married for just over two years, almost exactly three years from when we started dating, I still can't believe how lucky I am.  I remain in awe of him.  He is a wonderful husband and such a loving father to our baby boy.  He changed every diaper for at least the first two weeks after the baby was born.  He got up in the middle of the night with him.  He soothed him when he cried.  He tactfully turned away visitors I didn't feel up to seeing. I don't know what I would have done without his calm in the midst of the storm of life with a newborn.

I am grateful for the blessing that he is in my life and I look forward to celebrating a lot more birthdays with him.


No comments: