Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Fixed Points in Time

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's actually more like a big ball of wibbly, wobbly, time-y wimey stuff." - Dr. Who

I was talking to a friend last night who informed me that Dr. Who had resolved her angst about making big decisions in life. According to Dr. Who (according to her), there are fixed points in time that don't change. Instead of seeing time as a linear progression from one decision to the next, she understands that some things are just meant to be. She shared the story of how she came to her position as a linguistics professor in an obscure Mayan language. It all started when she picked a language class that happened to work with her schedule. When she heard the professor start speaking in Kaqchikel on that first day, she knew that her life had changed.

Because she picked a class that fit her schedule.

Another friend shared her story. As she was walking to the office to hand in her student teaching application, she passed a friend in the hallway and asked her what school she should request. Her friend suggested her own alma mater, so she wrote that on the form. She's now in her seventh year as a teacher at that school and can't imagine working at any other school.

Because she listened to a passing friend in the hallway.

I tried to think of a moment in my life like that, and all I could think of was the day I pulled into Kansas City and Mike was there to give me the keys to the house in which I would be staying. I was afraid my friends would think I was lame if my story of destiny was about a guy. But as the night went on, I realized it was bigger than that.

When I decided to go to seminary, I was going for an education with the expectation that I would only be in Kansas City for a few years before moving on to a more permanent assignment. I connected with a roommate through a mutual friend, and we chose a house at the suggestion of an admissions employee.

It was that house that changed my destiny.
First look at the house (and my future husband)

Turning thirty has made me reflective, and I realized last night that I could not ask for more. I am married to the man of my dreams. I have a beautiful baby boy. I graduated with honors from a masters program. I've gotten to know some really incredible people and get to spend the occasional evening talking about destiny with people who are old enough to actually have some perspective on what that means. I even still get to play ultimate frisbee every week.

These two guys are pretty awesome.
All of those things are in my life now because I happened to move into a house. A house where I met my husband when he gave me the keys. A house where I found a community that supported and encouraged me through grad school. A house where the IT guy invited me to a church that, though now closed, has been the source of some of my closest friends in Kansas City. A house filled with other students who made every gathering a party.
Five of the original eight--does this look like a party or what?
We were celebrating my friend's birthday last night, and she said that she doesn't always do something for her birthday, but she is in a really good place this year and wanted to celebrate that with some of the friends who have helped make that happen. Her gratitude reminded me of my gratitude for the friends who have come into my life over the past few years. I don't know how things would have been different had I not chosen to live in that house, but as Dr. Who so wisely suggested (via my friend), maybe we don't need to worry so much about making the exact right decision in every situation. Maybe some things are just meant to be.

All these babies are part of my life now too!

2 comments:

lis said...

Perhaps the blondes of the house need to have a reunion - we should catch up soon.

Tracy Edwards said...

aww.. I like all of this. and the pictures.